13 April 2009

Top 51 Favorite Songs: A Work in Progress


I have posted this list on two other blogs and now comes this one. It's nice I'm posting it here last since that must mean this blog matters most to me - which it does - even if no one reads it but me. I hold the dream of an audience.

I've gotten some feedback that this list is a little.. "old school". While it is true that I'm younger than most of these songs, these are the ones I grew up listening to - I have known them the longest. And of course, in most cases there's a reason a song becomes "classic." I tried to eliminate new songs I recently started loving because I'm not sure of their longevity in my life and I can't vouch for them as much as the oldies just yet. Naturally, a few snuck in anyhow (Amos Lee, Ray LaMontagne, Pete Yorn, etc).

All songs are interchangeable as far as spot on the list and may I say one more time: This is very much a work in progress. This is just what I've heard in my life so far. Also, I'm now considering making a list of just new favorites. That could be even more difficult.

Please enjoy and genuinely check out these spectacular songs. I live to hear them.

Chicago - Beginnings
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - I Need to Know
Led Zeppelin - D'yer Mak'er
John Mayer - Covered in Rain
George Harrison - Got my Mind Set on You
Red Hot Chili Peppers -Under the Bridge
Dave Matthews Band - Satellite
Marvin Gaye - Ain't That Peculiar
The Zombies - Tell Her No
Howie Day - Morning After
Tom Petty - Square One
Todd Rundgren - I Saw the Light
Jackson Browne - Doctor My Eyes
Otis Redding - Hard to Handle
Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up to Dry
Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
Barbara Lewis - Hello Stranger
The Rascals - I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore
Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
The Spinners - I'll Be Around
Fleetwood Mac - Everywhere
The Kinks - Strangers
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Breakdown
The Who - Postcard
Radiohead - Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Bob Dylan - I Threw it All Away
John Lennon - Watching the Wheels
Pete Yorn - For Us
Buddy Holly - It Doesn't Matter Anymore
The Guess Who - Undun
The Beatles - Twist and Shout
Faces - Ooh La La
Ray LaMontagne - Forever My Friend
Frank Sinatra - Glad to Be Unhappy
Lou Reed - Vicious
Tom Petty - You Don't Know How it Feels
Amos Lee - Seen it All Before
Frank Sinatra - Summer Wind
Cher - If I Could Turn Back Time
The National - Secret Meeting
Pharrell - Frontin'
The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City
The Band - Up on Cripple Creek
Chet Baker - Let's Get Lost
Etta James
- Sunday Kind of Love
John Frusciante - Song to Sing When I'm Lonely
Ari Hest - Sleep Tonight
Hall & Oates- I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

1 comment:

Randolph said...

Awesome blog!