25 April 2009

The Best Single of the Past Decade

Cold War Kids - Hang Me Up to Dry

When I was a little out of it - I mean very out of it - this morning, I said something along the lines of, "the only thing better than this song is Led Zeppelin." I might be going too far with that statement but if I were a record executive I'd spend my life savings supporting and marketing this exceptional band. That is how good they are. This song in particular hits me in a way NO others do.

This, to me, is the perfect single and what SHOULD be on the radio today.

Not too slow, not too fast, not a sound-alike of everything else on the charts, and hard to categorize in one genre. This could appeal to a bevy of different people and isn't that what music should be capable of? I'd like to see one song do well on a bunch of different radio formats. I'm going to have to do some digging and see when that happened last.

Cold War Kids is just one of those indie rock bands that makes me so happy with their music and deeply saddened with their lack of a broader audience. This song in particular should be heard by millions of people. It's madness that it has to be "discovered" although believe me, it is well worth it.

I know you will enjoy this:

No comments: