24 April 2009

Some Wild Hope for Moore


I am in love with this blog lately. I wish beyond wish that more people knew about it because it would give me more motivation to keep up with it and search for the greatest bands to post about. When it's just me it feels a little lonely but that's okay for right now. I still enjoy having a place to store my favorite videos and write little notes about my favorite musicians.

So today I'm obsessed with Yahoo's music site. They have these great, mini-sized videos that are easy to post to blogs and really have a great collection of artists videographies in general. They also have those little Yahoo Exclusive videos with musicians playing acoustic versions of their hits. I'm pretty into those.




Yahoo is actually where I first caught a glimpse of Mandy Moore's new video for "I Can Break Your Heart Any Day of the Week" and I'm almost ashamed to say that it's incredibly catchy and I respect her constant forays into different musical genres. She didn't rest on her laurels and reap in all the pop money from "Candy" - she actually sought out a real career she could be happy with and used inspiration, albeit in a strange way, from her idols, Carly Simon, Joni Mitchell, etc. It's important to keep in mind with someone like Mandy Moore that she has been in this business for over a decade and her image from ten years ago when she was in her early teens is not necessarily an indication of her current state of mind.

When I decided to explore her music further from the past two years or so, I also came across some other interesting exploits such as her cover of Rihanna's "Umbrella" that really makes the words come alive, and her video for "Extraordinary" off her last album, "Wild Hope". Believe me, I wouldn't even be mentioning Mandy Moore unless I was really, really impressed and I am. Take a look.


No comments: