15 September 2009

Top 20 Rock Songs: My Picks

During Labor Day weekend I wrote a post about 101.9 RXP's 1,019 greatest rock songs of all time countdown but failed to ever post my own top 20 list that I managed to send in right before the deadline. I forget exactly how many of my songs wound up on the list but I do know it was a good amount - maybe 10? Maybe even more. I'm proud of that and also proud of all the other songs on my list. Not even all of Matt Pinfield's songs made the list (I don't think).

Believe it or not Pete Yorn, Ray LaMontagne, AND MY NATIONAL SONG(!) got on the list and really that's all I could ever ask for. I was thrilled.

So without further adieu, here is my Top 20 List of my favorite great rock songs.

Enjoy!

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - I Need to Know*
The Band - Up On Cripple Creek
Led Zeppelin - D'yer Mak'er*
The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress
Todd Rundgren - I Saw The Light
The Who - The Seeker
Jefferson Airplane - High Flying Bird
The National - Mistaken For Strangers*
Bruce Springsteen - It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City*
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge*
David Bowie - Queen Bitch
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen the Rain?
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower*
Dramarama - Anything, Anything*
Chicago - Beginnings
Fleetwood Mac - Dreams
Foo Fighters - Everlong*
The Smiths - This Charming Man*
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song*

(*)=songs I know were chosen for the countdown, there may have been more.

And my "legacy picks" (these were categories with a predetermined artist that required you to choose their best song. For The Beatles it was pre-Rubber Soul and for the Stones it was pre-Sticky Fingers):

Buddy Holly - It Doesn't Matter Anymore
Bob Dylan - I Threw it All Away
Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
The Beatles - You Can't Do That
The Rolling Stones - Paint it, Black (although it would've been "Miss You" if it was out of their entire catalog)

No comments: