30 August 2009

What Are Your Top 20 Rock Songs of All Time?


This is the question the radio station I cannot get enough of - 101.9 RXP - is posing to its listeners and staff this Labor Day weekend. In order to be a part of their 1,019 greatest rock songs of all time you must fill out the ballot located on their site by tomorrow, August 31st, with your top 20 choices and refrain from repeating any favorite artist more than once. Along with your definitive list, the station is asking for your choice of an ultimate song by their crew of "pioneer rockers" including Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones, and The Beatles (pre-Rubber Soul). Results will air Friday morning, September 4 to Monday evening, September 7th.

In case of confusion, they've been kind enough to clog my mind by including on their site the ballots of their DJ's and a few scattered music industry types as examples. I am now obsessed. I need to hear each and every one of these songs immediately. If someone, a disc jockey no less, thinks a song belongs on a TOP 20 LIST OF ALL TIME then I need to know why before my head explodes. I wish I could say it more eloquently but this is the kind of list I create each night before I go to sleep, the kind I write rough drafts of during particularly boring days in science class. I'm at work right now - in the center of the storm some call a Hatebreed concert - and therefore my time is limited but I wanted to complete this post in order to maybe give someone a chance to enter the contest. My list probably won't be finished until tomorrow at which time I'll regret all my choices but still post it here for all to see. Until then, enjoy a sampling of the best list I've read yet - Mr. Matt Pinfield's, the originator of this plan.

The Ramones - I Just Wanna Have Something to Do
The Who - Substitute
Neil Young - Old Man
Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love
The Jam - Going Underground
The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon
Led Zeppelin - Hey Hey What Can I Do
David Bowie - Rock N Roll Suicide
The Clash - Death or Glory
Bruce Springsteen - Candy's Room
Elvis Costello - Accidents Will Happen
Soundgarden - Outshined
The Cure - In Between Days
Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made of Sand
The Smiths - How Soon is Now
Oasis - Live Forever
U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name
Dramarama - Anything Anything
Pearl Jam - Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town
Nine Inch Nails - Hurt


To cast your ballot go to Rock Countdown Ballots.

No comments: