19 August 2009

Song to Love: It's Hard to Be a Saint in the City


I was listening to the greatest radio station in New Jersey, 101.9 RXP, the other day when this song came on that for some crazy reason I had never heard before. It was obviously Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band but it had this really strong Tom Petty flavor that I fell in love with instantly. I still don't have the internet at my new apartment yet which means I haven't been able to download this song so far but I am already obsessed with it. I immediately wrote down the name of it on an old receipt that day (a practice I love) and have listened to it on the work computer almost everyday I've been here since then.

This song, off Springsteen's debut album, Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J., was the first to impress the guy, Mike Appel, that was to become his manager even though he wasn't yet with a label. From my reliable source (Wikipedia, naturally), it was also the first song Springsteen performed at his audition for CBS Records who eventually ended up signing him. The original demo of this song can be found on Tracks, a four disc box set released in 1998.


While I've always appreciated Springsteen's music and even had minor love affairs with some of his others songs, none have stuck in my head like this one. It is one of 'those' songs for me. The second I get around to downloading it, it's going to be on nonstop replay I'm sure.

...and I don't know if it's just me but Bruce Springsteen doesn't get enough credit for being rather attractive, right? He's my type at least.

No comments: