15 July 2009

Somebody to Love: Will Dailey


Last night I was moping around, hanging clothes, cuddling with my cat, and waiting for Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings to come on Craig Ferguson when suddenly music started playing and it wasn't Sharon at all. Some curly haired, lanky white guy had taken her place and was singing this little infectious song that had my eyes glued to the television the whole way through.

I don't want to give him too much credit as I'm not familiar with his other work yet but this guy managed to have me on my phone in two seconds searching for the download. I'm not used to this anymore. The last time I got excited about a musician was months ago at this point. Lately I've been lucky enough to re-discover some classic gems with the help of the Princeton Record Exchange but new music has been kind of boring - at least the things I've been listening to.

Turns out that Will Dailey is a Boston-area singer/songwriter that's released three full length albums in the past five years and has actually been playing since age 12. He's currently signed to the newly formed CBS Records which takes advantage of the artists used frequently on CBS television programming. Dailey's latest venture is a musical project called Torrent which allows him to put out new music every few months in volume format. The first of this series was inspired by The Byrds with contributions from Byrds frontman Roger McGuinn. His latest full length album entitled "Torrent, Vol. 1 and 2" was recently released and encompasses many of these songs.

Dailey's song "How Can I Make You Happy" was the one I saw performed on The Late Late Show and if you're into singer/songwriter type music like me then I assure you this guy will blow you away.

No comments: