26 June 2010

Video of the Day: Lil' Wayne feat. Nicki Minaj - Knockout (2010)

I'm a huge sucker for hip hop videos. I love the kitsch, the glamour, the big, ridiculous hooks. Lil' Wayne, the talented guy with the silly name, is a really interesting example of this. I always enjoy his addition to other people's songs but his own songs have never been favorites. Typically they go right over my head but this song is rather unique. There are several pros and cons that I'd like to share in a goofy "pros and cons" format.

Pros
  • The obvious: Nicki Minaj is usually completely unlikable. I think this is universal. I took a Gender, Race, and Culture in the Media class and she was one of the only musicians singled out as a bad stereotype of all three. Lil' Wayne makes her likable somehow. Their chemistry in the video is actually kind of nice and her hair makes me crave ice cream.
  • Lil' Wayne plays guitar? I don't know much about him or about how to play the guitar but I like it. I think he's good - and even if he's not, it seems like he is which is just as important.
  • The entire song feels like a hybrid of genres that when combined sound really good together.
  • The dynamic of just two people in a video. I think a random guy pops up at the end as well but let's forget about him. It's really Nicki and Wayne. They're both small, well dressed, and funky. They're just cute together.
  • There's something dark about the video that makes the part where she sings "Baby 1,2,3"  kind of eerie and depressing, which I'm always fond of.
  • I think the entire video looks pretty cutting edge.
  • They play it a lot on MTV Hits and I'm always a fan of whatever makes music videos more popular.
Cons
  • The lyrics are awful.
  • Ms. Minaj never stops moving her head.
  • Lil' Wayne doesn't really rap in it - and I like that he sings - but it's more her song than his.
  • I don't understand the point of this song whatsoever.
  • Nothing happens in the music video. It's a nondescript boxing ring with a fake audience almost entirely blurred out and no action. Kind of weird/kind of cool.
  • There's no way I'd be able to listen to this ten years from now or probably even ten days.
Enjoy!



Knockout Lyrics - Lil' Wayne

(Lil Wayne)

Uhh,
Yeahh,
Uh ohh,
Yehh,
Hey barbie, ah, ah, ah, are you into black men?
He- hey hey barbie! I can be your black Ken
Wow! cause' once you go black, you never go back
She wore her hair black, with curls in the back
Then she threw that ass back, back, back
Then I fell to the mat, and after that
Everything went black!

(Chorus)
Baby 1, 2, 3
Tell em get the referee
Cause he can, get the knockout
If the telephone rings
Its emergancy
Cause he can, get the knockout
Get the knockout

(Lil Wayne)
Hey barbie, can I call you Barbara? haha
Hey barbie! can I call you tomorrow, and today
Cause' once you go black, you never go back
And once you go wayne , everybody else is whack
She threw that ass back, back, back, then I fell to the mat
And after that everything went back!

(Chorus)
Baby 1, 2, 3
Tell em get the referee
Cause he can, get the knockout
If the telephone rings
Its emergancy
Cause he can, get the knockout
Get the knockout

(Nicki Minaj)
Awe fuck it
Give me that damn bucket
Wh-when I throw this pussy
You better not start duckin
Oh yo
Head on with the blow
Lo-look out in the crowd
And everybodys yellin no
Grab him by the locks
And give us a good box
The head of the below the belt
I wanna give him good tock
Tock, tock
Give him good tock
And if it below the belt
I wanna give him good tock
1,2,3
They yellin 1,2,3
I done hit him with that motherfu---- court piece
Tell em, tell em the mouth out
To late to cop out
Give him more head than toothpaste like I locked out

(Chorus)
Baby 1, 2, 3
Tell em get the referee
Cause he can, get the knockout
If the telephone rings
Its emergancy
Cause he can, get the knockout
Get the knockout

(Lil Wayne)
So just knock me out
So just knock me out
Yea
Just knock me out
So just knock me out
Just knock me out
Just knock me out
Just knock me out
Just knock me out

1 comment:

Music Mouse said...

M.M., I love your blog but you need to update more!