18 September 2010

October Fires: Autumn Playlist 2010

Not only is autumn my favorite season, it also seems to be the time I find some of the best music - whether new or old. Every time I put together one of these lists I feel like I'm giving away treasure. I don't often share music one on one so the songs become really personal to me. I have reasons for loving every one of these songs but really their defining characteristic to make this list is fall appeal. I can easily envision someone in a tweed coat and hat enjoying a crisp leaf shower while playing any one of these songs. Autumn is a time of breezy coziness and the music has to match. I hope you enjoy.

01 Band of Horses – Blue Beard
I'm completely crazy about Band of Horses. If The National weren't so incredible, they would probably be my favorite band. This song particularly has a dark, Beach Boys vibe that I continuously come back to.

02 Blood Feathers – Don't Know You At All
I found this band last week and already I'm smitten. It's probably the most important song on the list to try out. If you like The Felice Brothers, Johnny Cash, or Buddy Holly, you will love them.

03 Sam Bisbee – Molecules
This song is ridiculous, full of talk-rap, incredible beats and real, authentic musicianship of the strangest kind - like the way Owl City would be if they were cool.

04 Sic Alps – L Mansion
Another recent discovery but one I'm so excited about. Sic Alps has a throwback appeal in a Kinks sort of way and I have iTunes to thank for finding them.

05 Wolf People – October Fires
Wolf People are an English psychedelic rock band that is fairly new but extremely interesting. Their sound sounds at once familiar and very different. October Fires is my favorite track so far.

06 Gayngs – Crystal Rope
I had been hearing about Gayngs, a rap/indie rock supergroup featuring Justin Vernon of Bon Iver, for a long time now and finally got around to checking it out a few days ago. I instantly fell in love with this song although I don't think the entire album lives up to its "mood music" reviews.

07 Ray LaMontagne – Shelter
The most beautiful song of the past several years.

08 Drake – Fancy
After his performance on the VMA's this year, I couldn't get this song out of my head. Although it's the least autumny of the bunch, it's a great song to dance around to with your pet.

09 The Ramones – I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend
I had been listening to the Pete Yorn cover of this song for so long that I forgot what this version sounded like. I'm not typically into punk rock but this transcends the genre and what better time to celebrate a new romance than autumn?

10 Ambrosia – Biggest Part of Me
One of the bigger hits on the list, this song is so reliable yet I don't think it gets proper credit. Ambrosia is certainly not a well-discussed classic rock band in the same way as Boston or Journey but their songs are equally as classic. One line of this song and you'd know it instantly.

11 Foreigner – Waiting for a Girl Like You
This song has that eerie, sad/happy feeling that I always crave. It's equal parts nice ("I've been waiting for a girl like you to come into my life") and troubling ("Maybe I'm wrong, won't you tell me if I'm coming on too strong, this heart of mine has been hurt before").

12 Sting – I’m So Happy I Can’t Stop Crying
This is probably my current favorite on the list. Instead of the usual lite-rock sound, Sting comes in with a country twang that rivals Ryan Adams and discusses how he's "so happy" about his significant other leaving him. I always appreciate a good double meaning.

13 Ryan Adams – Somehow, Someday
Off Adam's 2001 album "Gold", Somehow, Someday is one of the best tracks. It's classic Ryan Adams but also one of those songs that evokes its own mood instantly.

14 Wheat – Half of the Time
Although they're still primarily unknown, Wheat has been making music for over a decade and were featured on the soundtrack to Cameron Crowe's film "Elizabethtown". This is a newer song off their 2009 album "White Ink, Black Ink" that perfectly portrays their sound. I'm in love with it.

15 Naked Eyes – Promises, Promises
This just reminds me so much of Hall and Oates that I'm drawn to it. Naked Eyes is probably best known for "Always Something There to Remind Me" (which is fantastic) but this is equally as good vintage synth-poppy music.

16 Rihanna – Only Girl
This is her latest single and basically it's really fun. Also I won't deny that I can relate to the lyrics.

17 Fitz & the Tantrums – Moneygrabber
One of my favorite bands. Their debut album "Pickin' Up the Pieces" just came out last month and this is the track I've been playing over and over again.

18 Pete Yorn – Velcro Shoes
Although his new album has yet to be released, Pete Yorn has been giving away individual tracks for free on various websites for the past several months. Velcro Shoes, a fast-paced rock song that strays slightly from Yorn's usual formula, is my favorite of these tracks so far. Full album available September 28th.

19 The National – The Geese of Beverly Road
What can I say? It reminds me of Halloween and makes me feel a longing for something indescribable. Perfect for fall.

20 Duck Sauce - Anyway
I take it all back, this is my favorite song on the list. Watch!



To sample some of the other songs go to: 8Tracks

And to relive last year's list: http://musicmavens.blogspot.com/search/label/Autumn%20Playlist%202009

No comments: