03 April 2010

Ultimate Favorite: The National

I was having a small discussion recently with someone about "personal bands", basically a band that has so much personal signifcance to you specifically that it becomes Your Band. That group of music that is automatically associated with you and affects you like nothing else you've heard before. The one you become protective of and often crave more than any other.
The feeling some music gives off is so powerful that perhaps I'm not even old enough to understand it yet. It's not always easy to articulate something so meaningful and I know any other music lover - or lover of anything - knows what I'm talking about. We can try to dissect something to the death with our interpretations and analyses but it still doesn't do the feeling justice.

I have a lot of favorite music and although most of my preferences change from month to month, there are a few constants that all had different paths getting there but now remain ultimate favorites.



The National, my all time favorite band, is on the top of the list. Their music is overwhelmingly passionate, elegant, and haunting. These are the kind of songs that stick with you for a long time after the music is over. I don't know how they do it. Bryan Devendorf, one of the most unique drummers I've heard, Aaron and Bryce Dessner, multi-instrumentalists and geniuses in their own right, along with Matt Berninger, stunning lead singer and songwriter, and Scott Devendorf make The National's music seem otherworldly. I'm convinced they have found the perfect musical formula.

With the release of their latest single, "Bloodbuzz Ohio", and the live recordings of the brilliant "Runaway", another track off their yet-to-be-released album 'High Violet', I have found a whole new appreciation for their sound, something I didn't even think was possible at this point. Berninger's voice continues to get better and better with every recording and the band overall is at an all time high. My excitement for this new album is growing with every listen of these new songs and I felt an obligation to share them with anyone reading.

Please enjoy.



Bloodbuzz Ohio Lyrics

Stand up straight at the foot of your love

I’ll lift my shirt up
Stand up straight at the foot of your love
I’ll lift my shirt up

I’ll rest my eyes till the fever’s outta me
I’ll rest my eyes till the river’s in the sea
I’ll rest my eyes till the fever’s outta me
I’ll rest my eyes till the river’s in the sea

I was carried to Ohio in a storm of bees
I never married but Ohio don’t remember me
I still owe money to the money to the money I owe

I never thought about love
When I thought about home

I still owe money to the money to the money I owe
The floors are falling out from everybody I know

I’m on a bloodbuzz
Yes I am
I’m on a blood buzz

I’m on a bloodbuzz
God I am
I’m on a blood buzz

Lay my head on the hood of your car
I take it too far
Lay my head on the hood of your car
I take it too far


For more information on The National please visit their official site, http://americanmary.com/.

No comments: