30 March 2010

Somebody to Love: Fitz & the Tantrums

Fitz and the Tantrums (reminiscent in title to Andrew Bird's single "Fitz and Dizzy spells") is one of the most interesting bands I've found on iTunes in 2010.

The music, which is self-proclaimed "1960's inspired soul" and particularly influenced by "'67 AM radio, Motown, and early Hall and Oates records", is one of the most truthful "copies" I've heard of a specific sound. I don't know if it's because the sound they're trying to mimic is so specific that they literally did all their research and reached their goal but Fitz and his band are phenomenal. I cannot get enough.

It's hard to find much of a biography on them but according to Last.Fm, the lead singer is a Californian by way of France. He's 50% French, 50% Irish and 100% soulful (was that corny enough?).

If you like Mayer Hawthorne, this is like his big brother. You have to check out this sound. I put the videos below in order of my preference but choose any one of them and you'll love what you're hearing.





No comments: