18 February 2010

Somebody to Love: Miike Snow

This is not a solo singer/songwriter as the name suggest and as the iTunes review of their debut album points out, there is not even a "Mike" in the band, it is just one silly name for some absolutely phenomenal music.

I first found out about this band near the end of last year when all the top 2009 lists were coming out and I was using the best of them (Spin, Rolling Stone, Stereogum) to find some new music to fill my 2010. Now, three months later, I don't even remember what list I first saw Miike Snow on but I am definitely in debt to it.

This Swedish band, consisting of members Andrew Wyatt, and the producing team of Christian Karlsson and Pontus Winnberg, formed in 2007 but have been making music with artists like Madonna, Kylie Minogue, and Britney Spears for years.

To say they sound like Passion Pit is probably an easy comparison but it's Passion Pit mixed with addicting Pharrell-like beats with a slight dash of something else, like a John Mayer-ish sound in the vocals (which is a big compliment coming from me but probably an insult for others). Mayer himself is a big fan of the band using their song "Animal" in some of his radio/podcast gigs.

I love this album and I am in love with their sound. While I've been having some pretty gloomy days in the past month, I continue to look forward to hearing Miike Snow's "Cult Logic" on my iPod or blasting "Black & Blue" on the car stereo.

If you're into this new wave of indie electro-pop (Passion Pit, Phoenix, even Of Montreal..), I HIGHLY suggest Miike Snow.

I'm so glad I found them.



No comments: