16 September 2009

Song to Love: Two Weeks


It seems like more and more I'm finding myself in love/hate relationships with bands that either I used to hate and now love or used to love and now hate. Luckily for Grizzly Bear, I now love them (like they really care). But it did take a lot to get me to this point.

I had seen Grizzly Bear open for the one and only THE NATIONAL at Hammerstein Ballroom way back in the year 2008 and not only disliked their set, wished they never existed as humans and wanted to kill myself with their microphone stand. I hated them in a way I have hated few bands before. It made my toes curl - in a bad way - to see them getting so much critical praise in reputable press like New York Magazine (the ones hosting the show) and The New York Times which ranked their album, Yellow House, as one of the best of 2006. I thought the lead singer looked like a demented version of Humphrey Bogart and totally dismissed all of their songs as sounding the same and blending into one another without notice.

Now, I'm not taking all of those comments back just yet because I like one song. I still never gave that particular album a full run through so it really could be as awful as I imagine and perhaps the band has just now started making better music.

This song, "Two Weeks" off their new album, Veckatimest, is excellent from start to finish. I am obsessed, in love, and can't get enough. It sounds like autumn in New York and love and candy and concerts. It sounds like going to see a concert in the fall in Manhattan while sucking on a sweet lollipop. Haha - I don't know.

The sound is so fresh and original that I will fully give it my seal of approval. This is one of those songs I think they made especially for my ears. While the lyrics are surprisingly powerful and even slightly sensual, it's the actual MUSIC of the song that is so above par. I am extremely impressed, more than I have been in a long time by a single song. Even the artwork on the album cover is decent so I could actually buy this freaking thing. I really might! And this is a band I don't even like.

That is the power of music.

Enjoy the music video. It's really weird.




Song originally found on 101.9 RXP: the greatest station in the world. Go to their website.

Two Weeks

Save up all the days
A routine malaise
Just like yesterday
I told you I would stay

Would you always
Maybe sometimes
Make it easy
Take your time

Think of all the ways
Momentary phase
Just like yesterday
I told you I would stay

Every time you try
Quarter half the mile
Just like yesterday
I told you I would stay

Would you always
Maybe sometimes
Make it easy
Take your time

No comments: