19 August 2008

Mock Celebrity Playlist


Bear with me. I was looking through iTunes celebrity playlists and got extremely jealous that I wasn't a celebrity - 100% because I want to make one of those lists and have people actually read it. I love those lists! Not only do the celebrities get to pick up to 25 songs, they also get to explain why they chose each song and the viewers get instant access to purchasing either the entire playlist or an individual song. Hearing why Rosario Dawson picked a particular version of "Fever" or why Bob Saget chose John Mayer and Tom Petty in a row (!!) is pretty awesome. Hearing why Angelica Diamond chose Sondre Lerche is not so interesting. But hey, we all need something to distract from the fact that Russia is probably going to bomb us so why not a juicy playlist :-)

So pretend I'm a celebrity and enjoy...

Angelica Diamond's Playlist

Apartment Story - The National: I hear this song is about a house party but with lines like "Tired and wired we ruin too easy, sleep in our clothes and wait for winter to leave.. Hold ourselves together with our arms around the stereo for hours..", it sounds more like my life. I've had this song for maybe two months and it's already on my Top 25 Most Played list on iTunes. Also check out: "Guest Room" that has my favorite line, "They're gonna send us to prison for jerks." Matt Berninger's voice could not be anymore beautiful.

Sleep Tonight - Ari Hest: It's always one or two lines in a song that grab me. This has THE BEST line I've heard in a song. I had a friend ask me one of the best questions yesterday which was, "What is the saddest song you've ever heard?" - and I mentioned this one. I heard this live at my place of business, Starland Ballroom, for the first time when Ari was there and it brought the house down. Just him and his guitar and boy, he has a set of pipes. He is the most underrated artist (other than this next guy..)

Sooner Surrender - Matt Nathanson: Another depressing song by another amazing talent. If I had a record label, I would offer him millions and have nightly private concerts in my living room. Although I picture him being more comfortable fully clothed in a bathtub by himself with a guitar singing about lost loves. At my funeral I definitely want this played - or wedding.

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress - The Hollies: I don't know what they're saying and actually for a long time I thought he was saying "Long, cool woman in a flatbed" so I'm clueless but how sexy is this song? It sounds exactly like a place I want to visit. I want to be a long, cool woman in a black dress but I'm not that tall and I'm more nerdy than cool. I do have a "tall, walking, big, black cat" though and they mention that too.

Anything, Anything - Dramarama: This is not my kind of music but this song is sad. It sounds upbeat but he's pleading with this girl to stay, bribbing her with money, pills, candy - everything. Then! He's sick of her. He's in love! I feel like pulling my hair out when I hear this and then there's this line: "When I was young I learned a game where love and happiness were the same, now I'm older and I don't play. I found out the hardest way." Dramarama indeed.

Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley: It's only two minutes! It needs ten more minutes. It's a mini movie: The desk clerk is dressed in black, they're about to commit suicide, they have "tales to tell". Really the best part is the beginning though. It's like rich, dark chocolate.

Bossy - Lindsay Lohan: Okay, I have a few great reasons for this: 1. I'm a 22 year old girl! This is the one young girl song I listen to. 2. It was on Dina Lohan's celebrity playlist and she's like a messiah, right? 3. In the middle of this song it becomes like, ethnic or something. It get atmospheric. But then! It's a dance song! 4. If Lindsay Lohan is a lesbian now, listen, I'll kiss her.

Strong Enough - Cher: I don't know what's going on. I'm getting angry I started this stupid playlist thing because now I have Elvis, Lindsay Lohan, and Cher in a row! I'm lite radio! And I'm really not. But hey, listen to these lyrics. I can't even choose one, it's all of them. You know how people work out to get strong physically? Well I listen to this to get strong mentally. Also, my mom looks like Cher, Cher's beautiful, and her voice is delicious. One of my all time favorites is "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves".

Electric Feel - MGMT: This is a new one. When this guy starts singing, I'm ready to find a dirty, shaggy guy in a dark bar and dance dangerously with him. It's one of the hottest songs I've ever heard.

Morning After - Howie Day: This is a song I used to listen to when I was maybe, 14 or 15. He screams in it and I would scream along and I thought it was my private song. "What could be so wonderful about this?" - a line Howie sings after he's just described how a girl looks in the fresh morning light after he's spent the night with her and her summer dress is on the floor. Why express concern when you're having a good day? There's a lot more underneath... See also: "She Says". Heavy stuff.

I Decided - Solange: Oh yes! She's singing - in a glorious '60s girl group way - about a young man that seems like a nice fella but hey, then why is the music video depicting images much deeper? Maybe it's about a bit more. Maybe a metaphor. This has a sweet love song exterior - and then suddenly, he's "running me, running me down. Telling me, telling me wait." I think things work out in the end though. It's lovely.

Dreams - Fleetwood Mac: "Now here you go again, you say you want your freedom." From that line I am hooked. This song is so smooth it's like Grey Goose. I could get drunk off it. Stevie Nicks mentions a heartbeat and what happens - the drumbeat comes in. Thunder - cymbol crash! I love you, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham (the muse for this song). Trivia: The b-side was "Songbird", Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' wedding song.

Call on Me - Chicago: It's official, I'm an old lady. Anyone who knows me knows Chicago is in my blood and was the first music I ever heard in my life. This song is not my favorite ("Beginnings" is) but this is a current pick. The horns are glamorous, Jason Scheff's voice is cool as a cucumber, and of course there's the added bonus that this is a sad song mascarading as a love song. You know that if the couple in this song were still together the guy wouldn't be saying, "Call on me!!" He'd be saying, "Get the hell away from me, Man."

How Am I To Be - The Watson Twins: I wouldn't expect to like them but lately I enjoy female singers a bit more and they have gorgeous voices. This song is obviously '70s inspired and it's fantastic. This would've been a huge hit in a different decade or if it was a Fleetwood Mac song but sadly it's stuck on the shelf with other "indie" labeled acts.

Since U Been Gone - Ted Leo (!): This is a fun choice. Mr. Leo covering a Kelly Clarkson song and doing it way better than her and then adding a little Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the end. This is why I like Ted Leo and why I'm super excited for him to come to my house: Starland Ballroom! He's got such a sweet, normal voice and I love when he sings, "They don't love you like I love you. Wait!" Screw, Karen O! See Also: "Me and Mia" that I could listen to day and night.

Gangsta - Bushwalla: This hot, young gentleman/entertainer/magician/comedian is so suave. Another person that needs new representation because there's money to be made here! He is Jason Mraz's best friend and opened for him in NY a few months ago - a born performer. I bet he smokes a lot of pot. This is so fun.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - Radiohead: This is the most beautiful song on this list. I want to look into the eyes of a person I love and have the beginning of this song in the background. "I'd be crazy not to follow where you lead. Your eyes, they tempt me." Gorgeous.

And I Love Her - The Beatles: "And if you saw my love, you'd love her too." This is the quintessential love song. I also love how the song title begins with "And" as if every sentence Paul says must end with "and I love her." This is not my favorite Beatles song but if I heard it unexpectedly I would probably cry.

Tell Her No - The Zombies: This gives me a creepy feeling and reminds me of my childhood listening to oldies music on 101.1 WCBS FM. It's definitely sad but more than anything it makes me want to make a mixtape.

She Don't Have to Know - John Legend: Mr. Legend always sneaking around with sexy ladies, wearing disguises, purring his way out of a crime.. it's so tasty. This has been a favorite for several years and it always sounds fresh. See Also: Everything John Legend has ever done including his latest (sell out!) single, "Green Light" with Andre 3000.

Daddy Sang Bass - Johnny Cash: After watching The Johnny Cash Show, this song stood out the most to me. Everyone loves some Cash but this is classic. A little June Carter and even a little Cash Family Singers. See also: "The Mercy Seat" and "I Won't Back Down" - two covers that only get better in Johnny's hands.

Marvin Gaye: Everything he's ever done or touched.

If You Really Love Me - Stevie Wonder: I love this song more and more with every listen, probably the greatest sign of a classic song.

Say It All - Sondre Lerche: He's so fantastic. He's so so fantastic. I've never heard a song of his that I didn't like. I choose this one because I've overplayed everything else and it reminds of a specific time when the album, "Phantom Punch", came out and Sondre was my superhero - saving the day all over the place. See also: "Sleep on Needles", "Stupid Memory", "The Tape", and his cheery "Night and Day" cover.

It's a Shame - The Spinners: This and "I'll Be Around" are songs that I would be at least .5% different without knowing. They are so essential to my surroundings it's like my cat getting stolen to think of losing them.

Dancing Days - Led Zeppelin: This is just the lastest incarnation of my favorite Led Zeppelin song. I played "Houses of the Holy" 15 times the first day I got it on iTunes - but Led Zeppelin songs are like Pringles so I shouldn't be surprised. My crazy "D'yer Mak'er" infatuation is just dying down. Why do people do drugs while listening to them? They are drugs.

Jolene - Dolly Parton: On the way to school on the New Jersey Transit bus I fell in love with song. I randomly put it on my iPod and couldn't get it out of my head all day after the first listen. Why would someone leave Dolly for a girl named Jolene?? But on a serious note, I don't know how this feels but in my head I've pictured this scenario countless times.

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Dwight Yoakam: He reminds me of Elvis in a strange way. He has one of those unique, deep, rich voices. He's also super fun and I want to marry him so my name is Angelica Yoakam and I have someone that doesn't laugh at my cowboy boots.

The Taker - Kris Kristofferson: Once again, I've never heard a Kris Kristofferson song I didn't like and he's the one musician I think of when I hear these cats say, "I like everything except country." "Well," I would say, "Have you heard this? Tell me you don't like it." See also: "Jody and the Kid", "Sunday Morning Coming Down", "Loving Her Was Easier", and the songwriting credit on "Me and Bobby McGee" by his ex Janis Joplin.

Tom Petty: Everything. Maybe a top five would go like this: "I Need to Know" (my most listened to track), "Square One", "Don't Do Me Like That", "It'll All Work Out", and "Breakdown"? Maybe "Honey Bee", "The Apartment Song", "Listen to Her Heart", "Free Fallin'", and "Have Love, Will Travel"? Maybe just everything.

Come Rain or Come Shine - Billie Holiday: I don't know what to say. Let it speak for itself.

Strangers - The Kinks: A song that has the power of no other song. It puts you in a movie.

In Your Atmosphere - John Mayer: Read the lyrics.

No comments: