03 September 2008

The Felice Brothers


I haven't been in the best mood lately but the one thing that can keep me from knotting up a bedsheet and trying to head off to rock 'n roll heaven, ala Britney Spears, is The Felice Brothers, a four man band that absolutely sounds better than anything I've heard all year. There are so many young bands copying The Clash, Michael Jackson, The Kinks, etc so it's refreshing to hear one inspired by a more, well, inspired choice: The Band. And I'll be honest, it doesn't hurt that they're the first alt-country band I've heard of hailing from within a 100 mile radius of my hometown. Feeling like I live near some soul soothes my own a little bit. I cannot stop listening to "Frankie's Gun", a recent single off the band's self titled album, with its Southern style beats and cheeky lyrics including one about my place of residence:

"I saw a man hit my mom one time, really
I hurt him so damn bad I had to hide in Jersey."

Yes, Felice Brothers, you have described the only time one should come to Jersey - if one is hiding out.

Bottom line: While you're driving far, far away from the Garden State, blast The Felice Brothers on your stereo.

No comments: